- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 5 cloves, ground in a mortar and pestle, or 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tsps ginger, finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 4 cardamon pods
- 1 red or green chilli, seeded if you like and sliced
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, seeds and membrane removed, chopped
- fresh coriander leaves, chopped, to serve
- Tip the cumin, coriander, garam masala, turmeric and cloves into a bowl with 1/2 tbsp oil and stir until well combined. Mix together with the chicken until well coated. Leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hr or overnight.
- Heat half the remaining oil in a large heavy based saucepan or casserole dish. Add the marinated chicken, season and cook on a medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side until browned. Then remove from the pan. Add the rest of the oil and onion to the pan and cook over a medium low heat for 10 minutes until golden. Add the ginger, garlic, whole spices and chilli and cook for a minute more.
- Add the tomatoes, then half fill the tomato tin with water and add that. Bring up to the boil. Return the chicken to the pan, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Add the pepper and cook uncovered for 15 minutes more until the sauce has reduced. Season to taste, remove the whole spices if you like and then serve with chopped coriander sprinkled over.
Why not Try?
Back to Recipes
Offer Ends in 3 Days!