- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 3-4 long green chillies, deseeded, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5cm (2in) piece root ginger, grated
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 400g (13oz) minced lamb
- 30g (1 1/2oz) fine fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tsp panch phoran seasoning
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 200ml (1/3pt) hot vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tbsp coconut cream
- Preheat the grill to medium. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, add the onions, chilli, garlic, ginger until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove half of the mix and reserve for later. Add the cumin, turmeric and ground coriander and fry for another minute. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Put the mince into a large bowl, add the breadcrumbs, egg and coriander and mix together. Once cooled, add the spiced onion mix, season well and mix together. Shape into 20 size balls and put onto a shallow baking tray. Grill for 15 minutes, turning once. Spoon out and discard any excess oil half way through cooking.
- Meanwhile, put the reserved onion mix back onto the stove in a medium saucepan. Add the panch phoran, fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, stock, bay leaves, season and simmer for 15 minutes or until thickened slightly. Remove the bay leaves, stir in the coconut cream and blend until smooth.
- Add the meatballs to the tomato sauce and bubble for another 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- If serving straight away, scatter over some coriander leaves and serve with warmed naan bread and lime wedges.
Why not Try?
Back to Recipes
Offer Ends in 12 Hours