Easy, Healthy - perfect for the mid week
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 kg chicken pieces (eight in total), such as thighs and drumsticks
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 celery sticks, thickly sliced
- 2 carrots, cut into 2cm (3⁄4in) chunks
- 2 leeks, cut into 2cm (3⁄4in) chunks
- 600 g (1lb 6oz) potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 level tbsp plain flour
- 600 ml (1 pint) hot chicken stock
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- Half a lemon
- Heat oil in a large, flameproof casserole. Season chicken pieces and brown all over for 10min. Remove and set aside. Drain fat from the pan - there should be around 75ml (3fl oz). Pour just 1tbsp oil back in to the pan and discard the rest. Preheat oven to 200ºC (180ºC fan oven) mark 6.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrots, leeks and potatoes to the pan, and cook, stirring, for 5-10min. Stir in the flour, cook for 2min, then pour in the stock. Season well, then return the browned chicken to the pan. Add the rosemary, squeeze over the juice from the lemon half and pop the squeezed lemon half into the pan. Cover and bring the casserole to the boil.
Cook in the oven for 25-30min until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is piping hot and thickened.
Why not Try?
Back to Recipes
Offer Ends in 12 Hours